We believe the small advances we make every day to reduce our carbon footprint have a positive impact on the resources we use, and the spaces where we work. Based on this keen awareness, we have taken the following steps to benefit our community, the environment and our employees in Canada:
- When Roche Canada moved its Pharmaceutical head office to 7070 Mississauga Road, we made it a core priority to reduce our waste to landfill impact. As a result of these efforts, in 2015, we made the Clean50’s Top 15 Projects List, which recognizes green achievements in business across Canada.
- Our head office building is LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Gold certified as it includes leading edge environmental technologies that help us reduce our environmental impact. This includes updates like light harvesting technology, low-flow water fixtures and environmentally neutral ammonia-based cooling systems.
- In addition, our 3R (reduce, reuse, recycle) activities include best-in-class disposal streams (i.e., composting, recycling venues for batteries, used pens, electronics and traditional waste), and an increase in waste diversion by 64% since 2004. Our commitment now is to move towards a ‘Zero Waste to Landfill’ goal and divert at least 90% of the waste from our Mississauga site from local landfills. The Recycling Council of Ontario recognized our waste diversion efforts with a Bronze Award in 2014.
- To minimize the impact of travel, we offer carpooling programs and flexible work arrangements for office-based employees. We have instituted a corporate commitment to support tele-presence and video conference technology as a way to reduce the frequency of flights, thus reducing CO2 emissions and energy consumption.
- For those employees who require a company vehicle, our best-in-class fleet maintains high standards in fuel efficiency and emissions.
- Sustainability is even embedded in our procurement process for key contracts and suppliers. As a global company, Roche is affiliated with the United Nations Pharmaceutical Supply Chain Initiative (PSCI), which is a group of pharmaceutical and healthcare companies who share a vision of better social, environmental and economic outcomes in the communities where we buy.
- For 13 consecutive years, Roche has been recognized as one of the top three most sustainable healthcare company by the Dow Jones Sustainability Indices. Learn more here.